-
December 24th, 2001, 02:33 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Just curious as to what everyone's favorite cinema-oriented magazines are (could be current or defunct). Myself, I wildly prefer publications that focus on intellgent criticism and honest coverage/interviews instead of blind promotion--magazines like:
Cashiers du Cinema
Cinemad
Film Culture
Cinema Scope
Film Threat
Rue Morgue (and not just because I'm a contributing writer!)
Fangoria
I know I've forgotten a bunch--what about you?
------------------
-
December 24th, 2001, 09:08 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Total Film! Good source of info, reviews, and general film stuff!
------------------
-
December 24th, 2001, 11:01 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Sight and Sound is pretty good but a little dry and academic.
------------------
-
December 24th, 2001, 11:09 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Total Film... until they got rid of Independent's Day... bastards!
------------------
"don't hit actors, it fux continuity"
-
December 24th, 2001, 11:35 AM
#5
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica, sans serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Them1tch:
Total Film... until they got rid of Independent's Day... bastards!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know... I was well pissed off with that! Independent's Day would have been great for us to send the Exposure Shorts stuff to!
------------------
Exposure Shorts
http://www.exposureshorts.co.uk/
-
December 24th, 2001, 12:16 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Total Film has no balls; it's such a mainstream rag. You know what else I hate (but used to devour when I was an aspiring filmmaker)? Magazines like Filmmaker and Scr(i)pt, which "cater" to the interests of young filmmakers. The only thing those rags want you to do is buy unneccessary editing and screenplay software...depressing reads.
Sight & Sound is awesome--great writers like Amy Taubin and J. Hoberman.
------------------
-
December 25th, 2001, 04:19 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Hotdog
------------------
-
December 25th, 2001, 08:05 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Empire for the popcorn, Sight and Sound for the highbrow, real articles.
------------------
I want more life you f***er!
-
December 26th, 2001, 10:56 AM
#9
Inactive Member
sight and sound is too full of jumped up pompous eliteist shit and they dont know how to have good fun AND you need a dictionary beside you when reading it.. but id still rate it as one of the best film mags around. crazy, i know.
empire and total film only get my vote when you get a free cd full of music.
a mag that got stopped called DV World was one of the best publications around as it had good reviews on DV cams and editing stuff at a expert to professional level but its been pulled, bugger.
i also read What Camcorder - but i think its pretty shitty - its written by old men who belong to crappy cine and vidde societies and know jack shit about cameras.
------------------
My preciousssssss!
-
December 26th, 2001, 06:49 PM
#10
Inactive Member
The UK version of Premiere used to be my favourite by a long way, it was great -somewhere between S&S and Empire (ie middle brow) - but it folded a few years ago. Boo hoo 
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks